Gaming and general day to day.

Mostly gaming, and some other things that make you ponder...

Thursday 27 January 2011

Mafia II: My Review ...(Hey that rhymes!)


Ah 3rd person shooters you never fail to entertain me, And Mafia II is one of them! Now I acquired this game about a month or two after it's release so I wasn't completely with the times, but I noticed not a lot of people had bought this game, (well I didn't see anyone playing it online) and that confused me...a lot! This game is ridiculously underrated and has an epic storyline. It's the sequel to Mafia (obviously) which was released back in '04 on PS2 and Xbox, and I never played it, which is usually a bad move with a direct sequel because you have no idea what's going on or who anyone is, But Mafia II was different, according to many online sources (From people who played the original) the game directly follows on, but to me the game was almost as if it had started from scratch, which is good! Of course there was the odd reference to it which is understandable.

Now to the campaign, it was executed perfectly almost like a Mafia film, it follows Vito Scaletta a US army veteran who returns from conflict in the old country (Sicily) to find he has to turn to the wrong side of the law in order to survive basically, Now I'll leave it there with the storyline cause i'm not one for for including spoilers, for two reasons it'll ruin the game if you haven't played it and I hate having to write in the largest and most noticeable text possible saying ***OMFG SPOILERS !!!!*** ...I'm drifting from the point.

But the campaign was brilliant even despite a confusing twist, (I won't continue), but the gameplay is awesome and the cover and attack systems are perfect, along with the driving, both damage graphics and car realism. And a pretty cool soundtrack! (If you're into 1950's doo wah diddy). But it was a game that when playing through it you were eager to know what happened next, basically it was an entertaining campaign with no boring parts! I didn't even skip the cut scenes! Which is a terrible habit of mine when playing a new (boring)game, But Mafia II never got boring although there were parts (the typical 3rd person sandbox problem) where you have to drive aimlessly across the map, back and forth which got a little tedious, but that happens in every game of this nature, maybe they could have perhaps included a "trip skip" feature or something? but it was no biggie.

"Hey Tony! Andiamo! Mama sent her pasta fazoo!"

One thing I was disappointed with was there being no online, it was the perfect setting for a 3rd person GTA/Saints Row multiplayer but there was DLC available on the marketplace so I suppose it's not all that bad, But one VERY BAD flaw with the game was the inability to carry on after the main campaign had finished, which is a big let down because it would have been the perfect ending but overall I thoroughly enjoyed this game and would recommend it even to those who didn't play the previous, I'll give a cool 8.5/10.

Mikey x

No comments:

Post a Comment