Gaming and general day to day.

Mostly gaming, and some other things that make you ponder...

Wednesday 26 January 2011

Andy Gray and Richard Keys...Bigoted Sexists or just men?


Andy Gray and Richard Keys were both sacked for making "Sexist" comments.

In the News recently it arose that some leaked off air recordings or footage (I'm not too sure) was found to contain both Andy Gray and Richard Keys making sexist comments about a female linesman who was in one Championship match, now I don't follow football religiously if it's on I'll watch it but there is definitely controversy about what happened at the weekend, from both sides. It started where Andy Gray stated that the Female Linesman (Sian Massey I think her name was) didn't know the offside rule, and when I saw this was the reason I thought...wait what? Is that it? Now don't call me sexist (I mean I do make the old tongue in cheek "kitchen, and sandwich" jokes now and then but nothing to actually offend someone) I mean if anything there only stating what people would call "Banter" I mean if you actually ask the majority of women (And I'm talking 90%) don;t know what the offside rule is, hell even some men don;t know it. And it's just a general perception that women don't know it, just like women can't read maps and men won't ask for directions, It's just a simple general perception.

But here come the controversial part form my side (And I can expect that some people may be offended) I believe that SOME women and I'm talking a minor percentage are a little over sensitive about such menial things, such as sexism and banter. In the past few days I've spoken to girls and the vast majority have stated that they think that the sacking of the two commentators is wrong and that they themselves admit that women are known for not knowing the offside rule. But I'm drifting from the point...the point is that this lineswoman DOES know the offside rule and she is a trained professional and you can't make comments about it on TV, TV is a sensitive place to express your opinions quite simply because so many people are watching and some are going to get offended.

Now that was the main story but behind all this were some comments made which WERE out of order (And that's coming from me...a man) where Richard Keys (Right in the photo) stated that a journalist in the Daily Mail who wrote an article on Sexism should "do us all a favour" (Shut up basically) and that is unacceptable, but in my own personal view I think they shouldn't have been sacked for the old "Women don't know the offside rule" joke maybe some sort of cautioning, but if you ever watch the daytime programme Loose Women (And I'm not admitting I do, I just come across it...:/ I joke, I joke!) but the things they say on there about men IS SEXIST and yet no one does anything about it, then again as Bob Dylan once said "The times they are a changin'" and indeed they are, (Did you like my Anchorman reference there? ;)) People have always said that we live in a Man's World but that is changing and I myself think that's a good thing.

Mikey.

No comments:

Post a Comment